Sunday, June 5, 2011

Weekend DIY - Crochet Doily Bunting


I have been wanting to make one of these for a while, because they're just so pretty!!!  This weekend I decided to go for it!  And while I was at it I decided I might as well take photo's so I could make a tutorial to share.  It was an easy peasy project, and it didn't take me long at all.  I was able to make the bunting and photograph it all while Brady napped.


You will need: 
- Doilies, I was lucky enough to find 3 matching ones at our local thrift store.  Of course they don't have to match, get a whole bunch of different shaped ones, use colorful ones!  Make your bunting anyway you like!
- Extra wide bias tape, which I also found at the thrift store, score!
- And the usual: pins, scissors, thread, bobbin, iron, and a sewing machine

Step One:  Cut your bias tape to your preferred length, or just leave it.  I cut mine to 48 inches.  Then give your bias tape a quick once over with the iron, just to get rid of any bumps it may have gotten from being packaged.

Step Two:  I ate a bowl of cereal, you can omit this if you like.  I also ate a cookie.

Step Three:  Cut your doilies in half, I folded mine in half and cut along the crease.

Step Four:  Find the center of your bias tape(mine is 24"), place your first doily there and pin.


Pin the rest of your doilies in place, working your way out.  It helps to have a big working space for this step, I used my ironing board, there is never ever any room on my desk to work.  

Step Five:  Time to sew!  I left some space on the ends of my bias tape to use as ties, that's where I'm going to start to sew, right at the start of where my doilies are placed. 


Very carefully sew your bunting together, makeing sure you are stitching through both sides of the bias tape and the doilie in the middle.   Very tricky, but if you have pinned everything well you shouldn't have any problems.


Step Six:  After sewing your bunting together, run the iron over the bias tape one more time.  Then you're done! 


Right now my new bunting is prettying up my kitchen, but if I happen to have a baby girl in September maybe I'll hang it above her crib :)

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Tanis this is such a great DIY! (I wouldn't opt out of STEP one - Id probably have 2 cookies!) Your bunting turned out beautiful!
p.s. I also love your milk glass vase :) Im hoping to start my own collection of them soon.
ash
www.countrygirlcityworld.com

Tanis said...

well thank you very much :) the vase was a lucky find at our thrift store, same with the green coffee mugs.

RambleOn said...

I’ve been wanting to make something like this for a while and I found a treasure trove of doilies at the op shop today. My only concern is that the doilies may fall apart or unravel once I cut them. Did you run into this problem?